Thursday 9 December 2010

EVALUATION QUESTION-In what ways does your music magazine use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real music magazines?

Having chosen the genre of African RnB for my music magazine, currently there are no established African RnB magazines so for my research I have decided to look at magazines such as VIBE (hip hop genre) and Billboard as these are the closest genre to my chosen genre.
Having researched the following magazines (VIBE and Billboard), my magazine has the following:-
  • date
  • issue
  • barcode
  • price
  • masthead
  • strap line
  • lures
  • cover lines
  • mode of address
  • a mid shot image on the front cover
  • one colour or gradient colour background
My magazine has a consistency of style keeping the African culture throughout the whole of the magazine; I have stuck to the colour scheme of red, green, as well as using similar fonts Caecilia and African throughout the magazine which is what real music magazines do. 
I also have a gradient background as most magazines concerning my genre of music have, 2 fonts and 2 colours maximum used throughout my front cover.I have also noticed through my research that on front covers there are either close ups or mid-shots of music artists and this I also have on my front cover.

On my contents page I have used page references as well having pictures on the page as this is what I found real music magazines do, they usually .I have an image on the contents page which all music magazines have.


I have used three to four columns on my double page spread for my music magazine as from my research I have gathered that most music magazines used  3-4 columns on double page spreads about music artists, they also usually have an image of the artist on one side of the page as I have done as well. I also put a strapline near the top of the page near the text as this is what magazines usually do.


The way my music magazine challenges codes and conventions is through my masthead; its is not plain compared to others such as VIBE their font is plan and simple yet mine has lines mine also has different colour text where very few have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment